In a nutshell: A read/write/copy application with a lot of settings to test the speed of a harddrive, a network connection or a fileserver.
The only application that supports multi-machine tests.
Differences to other tools
The reasons to create just another speed test application are:
- This application can start its test at the same time on many workstations.
This way you can test how many data you can transfer from your fileserver through the network when all machines are rendering.
To answer a question like which fileserver machine type should I use in the cloud for x-hundred machines?
- Multiple completly different tests can be prepared, saved as config files and started at the time you like.
- Some fileservers return empty data (just a lot of 0000000) to the workstation if too many machines are accessing the files. This is tested as well.
- This tool logs the network cards MTU size (jumbo frames), so you can easily compare if the changes have an effect.
- For developers only: Lets you choose which system function should be used to read/write files. First tests indicate a huge difference in speed.
- For developers only: There is no application that changes the buffer of these system functions to improve read/write speed.
- For developers only: Test if a pre-allocation is faster or slower (It definitely reduces file fragmentation on the disks).
- For developers only: Set different chunk sizes for the read/write loop.
- For developers only: As some fileservers return empty data if they are overstressed, a copy can delay help, but which ammount of delay should be used?
This is a list of features useful for non-developers:
- Choose read/write or copy file
- Save text log and .csv (Excel) table files (.csv files can be shared between all machines to have all results in one table)
- All file names support variables like date or machine name
- Clear system cache to be able to read the same file again
- In case you use caching fileservers (Like GPFS, Avere, OrangeFX, Lustre): Log IP of fileserver to split workstation results into groups.
- Log MUT size (Jumbo Frames)
- Test if data read contains a lot of 0
Planed features for the next version
- Next versions will probably include less settings and better default values.
- Then an half-automated way to move the test files to start tests.
- Simple preset test suite that should fit for most environments.
By downloading this software you agree to our freeware EULA.