www.BinaryAlchemy.de :: View topic - Abort & Disable for the next xx minutes
 SearchSearch   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   UsergroupsUsergroups   Log inLog in 
If you create a new post, please use a topic that describes your problem
Documento sin título

Abort & Disable for the next xx minutes

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.BinaryAlchemy.de Forum Index -> old - RR Requests - v6.x
View previous topic :: View next topic  

knekke

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Abort & Disable for the next xx minutes Reply with quote

We just skipped using 'disable during working hours' because we have so much to render, that we need every available core right now. So we have set auto enable to 15min on low CPU, so that it reacts quickly when someone is at lunch or in a meeting or playing table-tennis.
But people start to complain right now, because 'disable on high cpu' takes some time and disabling by hand is annoying if you do it often enough.
So: how about a button 'Abort & Disable for the next <fill> minutes' in the clientwatch window?
People here would love it I guess.

cheers,
Thomas

schoenberger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I will log a request, but artists should not notice a large slowdown.
The abort on high CPU usage was not implemented for the artist, it was implemented because the client does not get any power to render the files. So it is better to abort and let a different client get the job.

Some Notes:
Do you use "reserve CPUs for interactive user"?
Because then the artists can work much better. If you use hyperthreading on your intel CPU, then you do not even get a big slowdown if the reserved CPUs are less than 1/3 of the total CPUs (physical+virtual CPUs).

Then the render process runs on low priority. So if an artist requires CPU usage, they get all.
They can take a look at the CPU usage bar at the rrClient. It shows the CPU usage of the render and of the artist.
They will notice slowdowns if the render takes to much memory or if it has to load a lot from the network.
As this is not controlled by the CPU priority.

If you use Nuke, then you need a newer RR version as the old version did not set Nuke to low priority.

knekke

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We noticed slowdowns when using the Arnold renderregion inside Softimage. Maybe we need to tune the settings a bit, but after abort&disable it went smooth immediately.
So a button <don't bother me for the next 45min> would be awesome.

knekke

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that "reserve CPUs for interactive user" wasn't checked automatically on the workstations (though I set it in rrConfig).
Now that I restarted all the clients it is checked by default and greyed out (during working hours), as it should be. Maybe it was just a mistake on my side and the performance is fine.... I'll keep an eye on it.

knekke

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We tested now for some days, and we still think it would be a good feature.
It's ok when you are just setting up your scene or stuff, but not when you have to open renderregions all the time. Working in Nuke isn't as smooth as well it seems.
So we still vote for a Button to disable for xx minutes!

schoenberger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is logged, but as far as I know artists this will happen:
If you have a disable for x minutes, then artists will use the max number of minutes available.
Some even think they will turn on the client again when they leave.

So in the end it would result in the same as if a client is disabled during the day.
Or at least the same as if the client re-activates after 15 min. as you do it know.
Just imagine yourself, if you start the next comp, how long does it take you to do the comp?
20 min? 30 min? better choose 45min to be save....

knekke

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is exactly what will happen Smile
So it would be great if the admin could set a limit in rrConfig (say 1 hour or whatever). That way we are way better off than using "disable on working-hours", and the artists only have to click once an hour, if he/she feels the need for it.
Half of the artists will click once a hour, 30% are fine with working while rendering, and the last 20% don't even know what that symbol in the systray is.
From that 50% clickers only 30% will complain that they have to click all the time (opposed to 100% when it's every 15 minutes).
I hope it's not too much of a hassle to integrate such a thing Smile

schoenberger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is logged, but the priority for the larger RR 7.0 features is higher right now.
So for now the workaround is to use manual disable and the automatic enable after x minutes idle CPU.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.BinaryAlchemy.de Forum Index -> old - RR Requests - v6.x All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: