www.BinaryAlchemy.de :: View topic - Time offset/time change in the UK
 SearchSearch   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   UsergroupsUsergroups   Log inLog in 
If you create a new post, please use a topic that describes your problem
Documento sin título

Time offset/time change in the UK

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.BinaryAlchemy.de Forum Index -> old - RR Questions - v6.x
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jeremy.smith

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: Time offset/time change in the UK Reply with quote

Hello,

Just looking at the farm this morning and getting errors related to the time change in the UK this weekend. Just wondering if anyone else is having similar issues?

I'm getting a "Critical Failure" error saying that the "time offset is not right." I've restarted the Royal Render licence server. The time zone is set to Greenwich Mean Time. Everything else has had the time change properly... it's just Royal Render that's having a few issues at the moment (farm is acually down right now).

Is anyone else having this problem?

gareth_parry

Location/Company/Country: London, 66 London, UK

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Time Change Error Reply with quote

Yes, we have the same issue here. I notice there is a config option in RR control to sync time across the clients to the RRserver, but this has not helped.

Any ideas?

Jeremy.smith

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. I'll try the option that you suggested, but had another question for you.

When looking at your rrS-Watch are you noticing that the server executable keeps starting and stoping? I can't even open the rrControler at the moment. I believe this is because of the timeoff set problem. Please see part of the logs that I've gathered this morning.

Thanks

11.01 11:33.12; -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
11.01 11:33.12; Application is running in service mode.
11.01 11:33.12; -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
11.01 11:33.12; rrServer console L 6.01.05 rrVer6.01.06
11.01 11:33.12; running in local copy mode C:\Program Files\rrService\
11.01 11:33.12; Application is running in service mode.
11.01 11:33.13; Critical Failure - #########################################
Time Offset is not right!

gareth_parry

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, due to the time offset, the server will not start, either as a service, or as the executable. I can't see any time offsets on the macines on the domain, so i'm at a loss as to where RRserver is finding an offset. I'm considering a re-install of the server software.

Jeremy.smith

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just tried reinstalling and still have the same problem (thought that it was worth a try). The only thing that I didn't do was physically restart the machine after that the Royal Render server uses, but I did uninstall and reinstall the service.

Can you think of anything else to try (can pretty much try anything at the moment as we can't render anything right now).

Here are some logs again

11.01 12:20.55; Application is running in service mode.
11.01 12:20.55; -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
11.01 12:20.55; -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
11.01 12:20.55; rrServer console L 6.01.05 rrVer6.01.06
11.01 12:20.55; running in local copy mode C:\Program Files\rrService\
11.01 12:20.55; Application is running in service mode.
11.01 12:20.55; Critical Failure - #########################################
Time Offset is not right!

Thanks

gareth_parry

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also tried to re-install without any success, and also have restarted the whole machine, with no success.

All I can think of is that there is another machine on the domain that has an incorrect time, and this is throwing off the server. I've found the following link to a Microsoft article showing how to sync the domain to a time server. I may try this next, although it looks pretty complicated.

eugene_fraxby

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

same problems here at Fluid....

i pinged Holger a couple of times, but he's not replying (probably in a meeting)

tried re-starts etc, with no joy.... the client machiens, the server and our main server are all time synced to an external ntp domain, so there shouldn't be a problem.....

our dhcp server still seems to think it's an hour aheaad though, wondering if this might cause issues?

a

Jeremy.smith

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rebooted the machine here this morning as well, but before I did the reinstall. I can't see how a reboot would change anything now.

I assume that you are using 2003/2008 server for your DC? If so the time should be managed by that server for all your machines in your domain (to prevent stsyem times being more than 5 minutes out - or authentication may fail).

No one is having trouble authenticating to the file server, so don't really think that it's that at all. I've run into a few issues with this in the past, but not seeing anything like that now.

I had to look it up, but you can run this command on Windows Box to grab the correct time

w32tm /resync /rediscover

Machines here on the domain are the correct time (Royal Render server as well as a linux file server bound to the domain). I've checked all that this morning.

There may be the one or two old linux machines and a really old Mac that may be an hour out, but that isn't on the domain at all and absolutly nothing to do with Royal Render.

Gareth, can you please post a link to the Microsoft article? I wouldn't mind taking a look!

Thanks

gareth_parry

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I've used the Microsoft fix file liked to below to sync my main server to an internal clock, and then used
'w32tm /resync /rediscover' on all domain PCs, so far this isn't making any difference.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816042[/url]

gareth_parry

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy.smith

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link. All Pc's over here has the correct time, everything else is working - just Royal Render is having issues. It looks like that we will have to wait until Holger is out of his meeting, hopefully that won't be to long!

I've also emailed the Royal Render Support account, but haven't got anything back yet. Hopefully will have something over the next while.

eugene_fraxby

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was guessing on the 'meeting' reason for lack of communication...... i hope it's not a vacation!!!!

still got no rendering here, starting to become a real problem

a

gareth_parry

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't suppose there is any mileage in setting the server time forward an hour, i.e. to what it was yesterday, just as a stop gap measure to get renders going again?

Jeremy.smith

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope that it's just a meeting! I know that there are a few other people that are working for Royal Render now, so I'm hoping that someone gets back before long.

Can't render anything at the moment either and starting to become a problem here as well.

If anyone has any news, can you please post?

Jeremy.smith

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gareth, you could try that.. but there may be other issues that pop up depending on your set up (file servers etc).

gareth_parry

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Er, bit scared I could break more things than I fix, although any scenes etc should still be valid, they would just get shifted further into the past. Still...

eugene_fraxby

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i thought from the error messages it would be a problem with the job database (submission dates and times getting screwy) but after restarts and such, it's complaining about not being able to find the executable!!

a

droolz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to chime in, we're having exactly the same issues. Also emailed support and not getting a response from Holger, although quite a bit of europe is on holiday today. I'm hoping holger checks this sooner rather than later, suddenly not having a farm is somewhat catastrophic.

Jules

droolz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW holger has just emailed to say a fix will be out in about 15mins... (2:20pm)

droolz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fix is on the RR site

Jeremy.smith

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update. Have just downloaded and installed.

Hope that it picks up shortly.

eugene_fraxby

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fix has got me rendering again, but i'm still getting time offset errors.....

the RR site says there will be a more permanent fix...... soon

a

Jeremy.smith

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Still getting the error, but we are able to render now!

Will installed the permanent fix when it's released.

eugene_fraxby

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we are getting all kind of weird behaviour, even with the fix.....

job seem to be dropping frames constantly, frames that rendered fine before, jobs are failing so often they are become disabled..... frames that take sub 2 minutes on a workstation are taking 15+ minutes on the farm

really desperate for a proper fix....

not sure if rebooting the farm server will help, or leave me without rendering again!

is there an OFFICIAL line on what is happening?!

a

Jeremy.smith

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We arn't gettting anything like that at all. Since the patch was installed.. everything has really been working as it should.

Have you tried sending an email to support?

eugene_fraxby

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, just spoke to Holger, some of my errors are workgroup/addon related.... most appear to be memory/cpu related (i changed some client settings and it caused lots of aborts)

hopefully back to normal now

a
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.BinaryAlchemy.de Forum Index -> old - RR Questions - v6.x All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: