www.BinaryAlchemy.de :: View topic - mixing Windows and Linux on Maya2011 - paths dont translate
 SearchSearch   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   UsergroupsUsergroups   Log inLog in 
If you create a new post, please use a topic that describes your problem
Documento sin título

mixing Windows and Linux on Maya2011 - paths dont translate

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.BinaryAlchemy.de Forum Index -> Shader Problems / How do I...?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

digitalmaciek

Location/Company/Country: NYC.NPLN.USA

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: mixing Windows and Linux on Maya2011 - paths dont translate Reply with quote

Hi there !

I'm stuck... Sad

I have recently added Linux machines to our exisiting ( Windows only ) render farm. The linux machines render great with no extrenal references in the scenes, but when referencing a texture file in a different location it fails. The previous error was due to a mapped windows drive... I have since changed over to using UNC paths. I am still getting this error at the linux box, now with UNC paths...
I have the proper path conversion in the RR_config setup between windows and linux:
\\nazgul\VAULT /mnt/nazgul

Anyone doing similiar setup have a suggestion to automate this ? If you need any more info from me just ask !

old orig style error msg:
R 71| Warning: (Mayatomr.Shader) : sc09_033_nc:clubW:clothing_file:referenced texture file
"Y:/GRAPHICS/3d/02_Open/chars/sourceimages/buttonUpB_tex/buttonUpB.tga" doesn't exist, ignored

new style error msg:
R 49| Warning: file: /mnt/nazgul/RESOURCES/3D/_test_render/test_anim.ma line 6: Reference file not found. :
//nazgul/VAULT/JOBS/0810_01/GRAPHICS/3d/chars/dinW/dinW.ma

Anyone using Maya2011 with multiple OS and a central nas - Please advise on how you do your shaders and texture maps. Much thanks for any input

-Maciek

schoenberger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found one information about a env variable called MI_RAY_SUBSTITUTE.
But I'm sorry, I do not have a format for that environment variable.

digitalmaciek

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm.... So how do you co-exist running Maya with Windows and Linux that share a centralized network storage ?

The only way I could think of is to run the Maya scene file (.ma is text) and process any instance of unc reference to a local mount.... that makes it a pretty complicated process at that point and changes the scope of just being able to use the RR submitter gui from within a maya workflow.

If you know anyone using this scenario please let me know so I can pick their brains !

Thanks

cheers
-mK

schoenberger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a link of lamrug:
http://www.lamrug.org/resources/substitutetips.html

You could add this variable to the setenv/maya.sh file

digitalmaciek

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:56 pm    Post subject: mapped windows drives dont translate to linux paths Reply with quote

Thanks Holger. So after I finally figured out how and where ... I tried it. But it didnt work either...

Here's what I did , in a nutshell... I added this to the maya.sh file :

setenv MI_RAY_SUBSTITUTE '/.dll$/.so/ /.obj$/.o/ /.lib$/.a/ /^[a-z]:// /^[A-Z]:// %\%/% % Y:/JOBS/%/nazgul/VAULT/JOBS/%'

and I still get these same exact warnings in the log file:
R 63| Warning: (Mayatomr.Shader) : test_anim:dWoman:01_body_file: referenced texture file "Y:/JOBS/0810_019/GRAPHICS/3d/01_dinner/chars/dinnerWoman/sourceimages/body/01_body.tga" doesn't exist, ignored

i also tried adding it to the orc users bashrc and bash_profile files as a variable...

still no luck, gots to be a way, i'm sure someone else is doing this exact process !?

i've opened up a case with autodesk, posted on their users forum "area" - but still no answers...

I appreciate all your help!

bohdon

Location/Company/Country: Shreveport/Moonbot Studios/USA

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Maciek,
Had the same issue, but managed to use a command I used once called `dirmap` to fix the issue.
Dirmap is pretty straightforward, you basically assign a 'search' 'replace' style mapping of two directories. The directories don't have to be full path names, it can be as simple as one drive letter to another, Maya will take care of the rest. For windows to linux, you just specify the paths exactly as they are used in their environments, so it would be something like...

Code:
dirmap -m "//nazgul" "/mnt/nazgul";

(Maya should be able to handle both forward and back slashes in the win environment)

The only other thing you need to know is that dirmap needs to be enabled:

Code:
dirmap -en 1;

It's also important to note that this is not an enforced search and replace. Dirmapping only occurs in maya if it cannot find the first path (ie maya looks for '//nazgul/something.tga' can't find it, then tries '/mnt/nazgul/something.tga')

To implement this with royal render:
Create a userSetup.mel here:
rr/render_apps/renderer_prefs/maya/lx_x64/2011-x64/scripts/userSetup.mel
(create the scripts dir if it doesn't exist, and make sure you use the right bit version of linux / maya)
The 2011-x64 contents will be copied to each of the render nodes when a job is submitted, so the userSetup file will be distributed.

Set the contents of the userSetup file to:

Code:
dirmap -m "//nazgul" "/mnt/nazgul";
dirmap -en 1;

print ("Dirmappings:\n");
print `dirmap -gam`;

That's it. Check the logs of the machines and look for the "Dirmappings" print. If you don't find it chances are the maya versions or os versions may be mixed up.

Hope that helps.
Bo
http://download.autodesk.com/us/maya/2011help/Commands/dirmap.html

digitalmaciek

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You Bohdon !!!
However... I gave up trying to find a workaround because of crunch time and loaded up win7 on my render machine.... there is other bugs in maya2011 which make it unusable in our environment with unc paths and mixed OS
nevertheless, I will make sure I try out your solution once I get the chance and some down time ! You may hear from me again...

thanks again
cheers
-mK
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.BinaryAlchemy.de Forum Index -> Shader Problems / How do I...? All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: