www.BinaryAlchemy.de :: View topic - Telling RR when NOT to start render clients using WOL
 SearchSearch   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   UsergroupsUsergroups   Log inLog in 
If you create a new post, please use a topic that describes your problem
Documento sin título

Telling RR when NOT to start render clients using WOL

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.BinaryAlchemy.de Forum Index -> old - RR Requests - v6.x
View previous topic :: View next topic  

HansPerk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Telling RR when NOT to start render clients using WOL Reply with quote

This is a along the lines of a previous request about "Check License count when jobs require WOL":

It seems that everything works: I can START machines using WOL, I can KILL the machines using RR, I can use Working Hours, but I cannot tell RR NOT to start the machine at certain times. Let me explain the issue:

Example: in the daytime, my users work on their scenes, and the render farm is happily rendering.
At night, I would like to shut down some rack render nodes and turn on some workstations instead, as they are faster. I have a limited amount of render licenses (vray) so I would not want to use too many machines, as errors occur in scenes rendered with machines which "Could not obtain license".

So, I would like to tell some of my rack render nodes to shut down and not start before next working day.
But the only solution I can see so far is to define Working Hours at night for them and disable the client during that period, which means they are on and using power - for no reason.

Is there a way around this? Or am I missing something?
--Hans

schoenberger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Note: The issue with waking more clients than licenses is still logged, requires some more testing.

For now the workaround would be:
Disable "auto WOL for render jobs" for the rack.
Enable "auto WOL before working hours".

Shut the rack machines down manually.
Either via power switch, a force shutdown command via rrControl or a timed RRjob (rrControl menu client, Command job, job settings "start after").

HansPerk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes sense - THANKS!

Looking forward to the license count thing. This is going to be a VERY useful feature!
It must be most interesting to keep track of different jobs that use the same license.

--Hans
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.BinaryAlchemy.de Forum Index -> old - RR Requests - v6.x All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: