www.BinaryAlchemy.de :: View topic - First Call up Submitter Then Save
 SearchSearch   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   UsergroupsUsergroups   Log inLog in 
If you create a new post, please use a topic that describes your problem
Documento sin título

First Call up Submitter Then Save

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.BinaryAlchemy.de Forum Index -> old - RR Requests - v6.x
View previous topic :: View next topic  

freshNfunky

Location/Company/Country: Munich

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: First Call up Submitter Then Save Reply with quote

Well it often Costs Time to wait for the submitter while saving the file first, especially in a slow network environment.
Wouldn't it be better first to call the submitter before saving the file?

You might callup the save dialog first but let the file save lather though, when the user is already making the settings for submission in the submitter, so the user don't have to wait. But meanwhile during job setup, the file could be saved in the background.
this could save time for the user omitting usless waiting times.

Also it's pretty complicatet to make no input error by always filling out the same information in the submitter. Insetead of saving the settings already in the render software, so the user needs just to adapt and not always reenter always the same information, human interface produces muc errors unter pressure and stress, this should be minimized by the most possible amount.

even when there cannot be established a direct comunication between submitter and 3D software, it might be possible by a import script to import submission presets manually or automatically in the 3D scene and save it in extra attributes.

i know it works under maya with the file name prefix but anything else (exept RenderLayers) will be not transmitted to the submitter. this is pretty akward and time consumig.

schoenberger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Save before submit:
It is a good idea, but I am not sure that it will work.
Most of the time people start the submitter, perhaps change a group and then directly submit.
Saving the scene takes often more time that the user takes for submission.
And the scene has to be saved before submission.

Options in your Maya scene:
Yes, you can create your own maya node with settings and then modify the submission script to write these settings in to the xml.
www.RoyalRender.de/help/index.htm?Usage/Submission/Submission.htm#RR_job_files
I think I already told that to Heiko.

Otherwise, it is usally enough to change a preset for a project.
So all scenes you submit for the project are using the same settings.
What kind of settings do you have to change all the time?

freshNfunky

Location/Company/Country: Munich

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not always.

here currently a job submission takes about 10-20 seconds. i guess it's because there are about 60 cameras and 40 render layers.

also controlling the entered data is time consuming and when done under a rush this produces oversights and errors.
it would be at least good to be able to save presets (not only the path presets) but the entire settings. either by dropdown list or "save as".

so usually i have here scene files with about 100M which takes about 30-50 sec to save. during this time i did not submit a job if i want to avoid oversights.

at least it's possible to interact with maya during rrBatchSubmit is called up, but it's not handy to jump back after the submitter has popped up and i can again navigate in maya.

about the settings: when preparing a submission i usually set:
- Path and filename by presets
- Frame Tiling
- Color
- Verbosity
- Clients
- (sometimes) Render Layer Adjustments

I do this for any single camera i want to render
because the feature "submit multible cameras..." is not a very useful tool, because it's useless to navigate through over 1000 entry's and set wheather this camera should be rendered or not.
the problem is, that when i do not want to render a camera then i have to uncheck the amount of render layers for this camera i have in the scene.
with more than 60 cameras and 40 layers... good luck.

i told heiko, that it makes at least sense that you have two submission options in Maya "select Camera" and "select Render Layer" but not both in one list - and further:
the list has not the cameras unchecked which should not be submitted by default, but only the renderlayers are checked like in maya. So when submitting with this Feature - hoping there is enough space for the Job entries to be carried in the left colum.

cameras X renderlayers -> 80x60 = 4800

that's why the procedure above is repeated as much there are cameras to be rendered for one scene.
further this job is repeated another times if i want specific layers to be rendered tiled (Beauty) and others not (occlusion, shadow, Mattes, ...) this is to avoid the job for the people later who then have to compile the tiled footage to one file, because RR does this only in the MasterPass when having also custom FrameBuffers enabled in Maya.

specific settings can be made only in the path settings, but not in the specifications of client group nor specific job options.
when i want later to diversify the settings per job i have to do it in rrControl to make the specific differences.
also this is not possible when distinguish jobs between tiled and untiled.
i have to submit tiled and untiled jobs always separately.

*sigh*

schoenberger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it seems you have a special case for this project. It is not possible to create a submission script that fits for all projects in all companies.
As the submission plugin is now a python script, I recommend that you copy/rename it and change functions to include only the layers and cameras as you like.
There you can also move the save function as you like.

about the settings: when preparing a submission i usually set:
- Path and filename by presets
- Frame Tiling
- Color
- Verbosity
- Clients
- (sometimes) Render Layer Adjustments

Are you changing them always to the same values?
Then you could edit the default settings file for the project or for your machine via the submitter menu.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.BinaryAlchemy.de Forum Index -> old - RR Requests - v6.x All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: