www.BinaryAlchemy.de :: View topic - SOFTIMAGE 2010 Problem with BA_Raylength - thickness
 SearchSearch   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   UsergroupsUsergroups   Log inLog in 
If you create a new post, please use a topic that describes your problem
Documento sin título

SOFTIMAGE 2010 Problem with BA_Raylength - thickness

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.BinaryAlchemy.de Forum Index -> Shader Problems / How do I...?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Ecl_Pete

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: SOFTIMAGE 2010 Problem with BA_Raylength - thickness Reply with quote

I'm trying to get the BA_raylength shader to return the thickness of and object. but i'm not getting the results expected in previous versions of Softimage.
i've got 2 sphere's one scaled smaller than the other and positioned inside the first sphere.

the image below shows firstly what the ba_raylength shader returns.
and on the right part of the image what the render looks like when it is used as the tranparency of the shader. it isn't correct.

yet if i connect the raylength shader into a mixer gradient and invert it. it works to a certain extent, i'm still getting a bounding circle around the inner sphere.

any way to fix this would be ideal.

schoenberger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The first rendering, left side (Ba_Raylength) looks right to me.
It is the Raylength from the surface of the big sphere to the surface of the small sphere.
Do you have set a spread in the raylength shader?

PS:
Instead of using a mixer, you can just click the "invert" button at the lambert transparency.

PPS:
Also, what is the reason for the gradient_mixer?
It seems like you are using a black-white-gradient. The mixer will return the same as you are using as input.

Ecl_Pete

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the advice. the raylength is on the big sphere, while the small sphere is a lambert with no transpancy etc.

the spread is the default 10 and the samples are up to 32.

so all i need to do is invert the transparency of the lambert to get the shader to work correctly?

schoenberger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

> so all i need to do is invert the transparency of the lambert to get the shader to work correctly?
As I do not know what you want to get with your render tree, I do not know what you mean with "correctly".
And I do not know if it would be possible with this shader at all.

I my eyes the shader itself works correctly and I have re-tested it for a bug in 2010 after your report.
It works properly. It just depends what you want to do with it.
It returns the length from the surface with the shader to the next surface behind it.

> the spread is the default 10
"default 10" was just a value that happens to be set. I did not want to have 0 that it is disabled and I did want to set it to a high value like 70.
70 would be the right default value for occlusion mode, 0 is the right default value for most of the other modes. So you have to choose which spread you want to have yourself.

For testing the spread settings and how they works, I suggest to apply the shader to a grid and place a second grid behind it. Then play with the spread. With this example you clearly see the effect.
Or use a cube with the shader and a grid inside.
Anyway flat surfaces are way better for testing raylengths than spheres.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.BinaryAlchemy.de Forum Index -> Shader Problems / How do I...? All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: