www.BinaryAlchemy.de :: View topic - BA for Maya 2016
 SearchSearch   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   UsergroupsUsergroups   Log inLog in 
If you create a new post, please use a topic that describes your problem
Documento sin título

BA for Maya 2016

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.BinaryAlchemy.de Forum Index -> Shader Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  

wolverine

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject: BA for Maya 2016 Reply with quote

Any chance you guys will release the shader package for Maya 2016?

I'm hunkering for it Smile

Cheers,
G!

schoenberger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I will put it on my todo list for this or next month.

wolverine

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any word on Maya 2016? 2017 is around the corner as well..

Things are pretty quiet around here... I'm so afraid this package is going to disappear into bliss somewhere and I so hope it wont. This package is extremely useful to the Maya/Mentalray community.

Because it's so quiet, the next question is.. Any chance of Open sourcing it? Smile

schoenberger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I finally found 2 hours to start to compile a new version of the shaders for all versions.
The fluid shader is now free as well.
If most of them compile, then the new version should be available tomorrow. (I know that some will not compile any more)

I thought about open source, but i have build a more or less complex pipeline around the shaders that they can compile for Arnold and MRay at the same time. And I have asked some time ago if some pro shader writers would like to have access to it. Making it open-source for everyone leads to a lot of questions from unexperienced devs. It is not like you can just download and execute a compile script.
And it has to be updated for the latest compiler version, this would take at least 1 week.

On a side-note: The shaders are postcardware and I do not get any messages that the shaders are actually used somewhere. The last post was submitted a year ago: http://www.binaryalchemy.de/forum/viewforum.php?f=18
And further developing something that nobody uses....

schoenberger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, RR 8.0 alpha is out.

I have created a new package, it even includes helper ans texture shader of the volume package.
I have not been able to test all shader on different windows platforms for now, but here they are:
www.BinaryAlchemy.de/download/160303__baEssential_4_1.0___Maya_2016_MRay.ZIP

wolverine

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schoenberger, thanks a ton for releasing this.

I must admit that we haven't actually used this in production. I did test a lot of the things in the package and so I actually see a lot of potential in it. It's just, you think, at some point a customer would walk in and say; We need this insane crazy thing.. Where we could say; Yes, finally.. we've been waiting to put this in Smile but so far it never happened Sad

In any case it would be a shame to see all this go away, that's why I suggested Opensource. I myself would love to have access to it.. I've written plenty of scripts and compiled some plugins but have no experience writing shaders. I totally agree that it's not as simple as running a compile script. There is definitely some effort that goes into it. If it's opensource though, there is at least the option out there that one could download and try compiling a new version.
From your message I gather you're not too enthusiastic about continuing the development which is a shame but understandable. Open sourcing it would free you up as well if you decide not to spend any more time developing it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.BinaryAlchemy.de Forum Index -> Shader Requests All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: